Display at the local gun store

Post your pics and vids here.
86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Display at the local gun store

Post by 86Merk » Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 pm

A little eye candy from the LGS. Guy's been in business almost 50 years and has an awesome personal collection
Attachments
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: Display at the local gun store

Post by 86Merk » Thu May 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Better pic somewhere, but there's a sight on the tripod hooked into an electronics box. I didn't see anything I would recognize as an IR illuminator, anyone know what it is?
Attachments
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 pm

That's a modern MG3 tripod (Lafette) and scope with box.
The box attached to the scope is a battery box for reticle illumination. It came with a lot of the MG3 tripods and scopes. It holds D cell batteries.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by 86Merk » Sat May 23, 2020 6:12 am

Ahh, makes sense. My son noticed the tripod had H&K on it.

Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog » Sat May 23, 2020 10:52 am

Also, no front sight base for AA, so I’m guessing the gun is M53. So in all, it’s a bit misleading.
FNG

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by 86Merk » Mon May 25, 2020 4:59 pm

It has 42 markings on the receiver but an M3 front bushing. Built as a semi also. If nothing else it motivated me to but an M53 kit.

Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder » Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Meh, most people have no idea what they are looking at other than it "looks like a MG42" same goes for the store owner. Unless they are trying to sell it as original I'd chalk it up to simply not knowing any better or thinking it looks cool (which it does) to causal viewers.

No one will know other than us...sort of like a numbers matching muscle car, no one cares but the those who own.

I really don't care unless he is trying to sell it it as a original MG42 on a lafette...but I'm guessing he is using it for a display for non buyers to bring attention to his store...I'm ok with it, but wish it was more accurate too. but it is what it is.

I simply don't care unless its intent is to defraud a buyer and I'm not seeing that....much like a WWII movie made in the 60's with US tanks with German crosses on them.....its what he had to work with for visuals effects.

Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog » Mon May 25, 2020 6:43 pm

I couldn’t stand watching movies with US tanks and iron crosses, or worse trainer aircraft with meatballs. That said I have a CRA43 on a Yugo Lafette, so cant complain too loudly.
FNG

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by 86Merk » Sat May 30, 2020 6:59 am

Agree 100% if it was being passed off as a real MG-42 for sale, but the whole stated rational for this new facility was so he could display some of his private collection. As you notice this one is completely under glass and not for sale.

Having said all that, the reasons I went specifically to take these pictures was that when I first saw this display, and knew even less about these firearms than I do now (Hard to believe isn't it) I thought it was a genuine full auto MG42. I wanted detailed pictures, specifically of the front of the shroud as I'm trying to replicate the original look of the crimped section. Much to my dismay it has an MG3 front bushing and what looks to be a BRP semi grip stick.

Still I'll credit this display with my decision to do a M53 after I was bitten by the dread belt-fed bug. At the time I had no idea building an MG-42 was even an option and had never even heard of the M53. Which I've been referring to everywhere as an MG-53 to my eternal shame.

Hopefully if KCR happens this fall some kind soul will let me take detailed pictures of actual item.

Gary

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Sat May 30, 2020 8:40 am

My MG42 is full auto and original. What pictures do you want?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog » Sat May 30, 2020 5:43 pm

The mg3 front end and BRP grip cut semi production time by 80%. Thus very popular shortcuts.

While not an Mg42, that’s close enough for the public. Which makes me laugh- somebody this past week bought on GB a Mg42 kit for over $4600 from a known scammer. The front and rear are mismatched and it was indeed “saw cut” but missing a section behind the cam. Looking at a “Mg42” and spending over $4600 are different things though.
FNG