Fat ring FH can be Wartime

Anything MG42 related.
Abominog
Major
Major

Fat ring FH can be Wartime

Post by Abominog » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 am

Well, I've confirmed my suspicions: I finally got my hands on a "fat ring" muzzle device with a WaA.

Conventional wisdom has long held that thin ring are wartime, and fat ring are ONLY postwar, either MG3 or Yugo. The latter is not correct. Note though that some late war muzzle devices were not stamped, so discerning between MG1, MG3, and Yugo fat ring may be challenging or impossible.
FNG

Blanksguy
General
General

Re: Fat ring FH can be Wartime

Post by Blanksguy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:49 am

Please post some clear/close photos of the Flash-Hider and the markings.

TIA, RichardS
US Army, RET

Abominog
Major
Major

Re: Fat ring FH can be Wartime

Post by Abominog » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am

Thin ring is WaA4. Fat ring WaA the middle digit isn't well stamped, but consensus is WaA239

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

So now that the old "fat rings are all post war" is finally shot down, the question is if there was a transition to fat ring by all manufacturers near the end of the war. The Gustloff plant is the one that went to Yugoslavia, one may safely presuming Yugos simply continued to produce what was provided (i.e., continued to produce the fat ring since that's the machinery they got).

That does not mean ALL or any other manufacturer switched to fat ring. That will take more detailed specimen study, which is difficult because at the end many parts were not WaA stamped.
FNG