New jigs

Anything MG42 related.
Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

New jigs

Post by Jaredrlewman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46 am

First I just wanted to say I am glad this place is back up. Thanks John for the hard work doing so.

Now on to the point. I am currently in the process of having new welding jigs made for the 42/53s. The jig runs the entire length of the receiver INSIDE. Unlike the crappy unistrutt jig that has been available in the past, this jig actually works and its EASY to use. Best of all, the receivers come out STRAIGHT! The jig is in working prototype phase right now, I actually built a 42 on it last week. We are making changes to ensure longevity, ease of use, and functionality. The jig is great for installing new noses, receiver bushings, and ensuring straight receivers. The jig rides through the receiver rails and extends all the way to the nose where an internal tight fitting bushing goes and forces a straight line through the length of the receiver. I will be updating as we get closer to releasing some of these jigs into the wild, we likely wont make too many of them but we will be making some for retail sales. Anyway below is a drawing of the jig to give a sneak peak.

In addition to this jig we are going to be making camming rivet support inserts to use when crushing the camming rivets. I also have our prototype here being used in the shop and it is freaking awesome and also super simple to use.

Pricing on the jigs has yet to be determined but trust me when I say these will be THE BEST jigs ever made for doing 42 builds..

Cheers.
Jared Lewman
Lewman Arms

Post modified by Admin to directly include the image.
MG42jig.jpg

Blanksguy
General
General

Re: New jigs

Post by Blanksguy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Jared,
This looks like a good way to weld a DEMILed MG42 receiver...….but I have a couple question on the use of this type of "jig" that I would like to submit to you directly if possible (?).

Also...….when you talked about a Cam-Pcs.-Rivet-Support for installing the rivet...…..what information do you provide to check the cam-pcs. for any front-to-rear movement (IE: What is allowable and how is this measured-?)…...and do you know if all cam-pcs. are machined the same as far as this area....or if possible, if WWII-German vs. Post-War-German vs. Yugo have different "lengths" for the contact area in the receiver-cutout-contact-points that can be adjusted (?).
With this, I am trying to learn what is acceptable for Cam-Piece "movement"...….and how Cam-Pieces are fitted in the MG42/SA42/M53-receiver...…..and then "adjusted" for fit in the receiver cutout.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Shoot me a PM or call me at the shop if you want to discuss the jig.

As for camming piece movement. When I build I make sure my pieces is fully seated against the front stops on the receiver. Then check that the cam doesn’t flop around on the welded pads, sometimes we have to add material to these pads to get a nice tight fit. With the cam all the way to the stops I make sure the rear of the cam window is tight against the cam. Our cams typically have no real measurable movement. You want them basically as tight as possible.

No as far as the differences in the cams themselves, haven’t found much difference in a 42,53, Mg1, or MG3 cam. At least not anymore than standard mfg differences.

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am

There seems to be a bit of confusion how this jig works, so here is a rough down and dirty..

Don’t mind the surface rust on the jig, it’s a prototype and is in the raw. FL humidity.🤷🏼‍♂️
Anyway, had a bunch of questions on this jig we are going to be making so I snapped some photos today while prepping another receiver for welding. You can see starting at the receiver bushing end there is a mandrel that tightly fits inside the bushing with a thick washer on the inside and gets threaded into the long beam. Then a flat washer(changing this to a more substantial washer on production) and a bolt sandwich the manderel inside the bushing. This ensures the bushing is perfectly aligned with the center line of the receiver. Behind that is the round beam that runs down to the barrel stop and has another thick washer that buts against the barrel stop. This sets the length of your front end, if you are doing a new nose or new bushing or in this case aligning the cut nose back up. That rod threads into the rear rectangular beam carrying the center line through the shroud area into the rear receiver section. The rear rectangular beam rides the rails inside the receiver and forces the rear pieces into alignment. The rails also set the spacing on your rear sections(except the very rear in the case of this receiver as the rails don’t extend into the buffer area). The rear beam extends all the way to the back of the receiver and sits flush with the buffer tabs. There is then another flat washer(not pictured here as I haven’t done the rear end on this receiver yet) and bolt that perfectly fits inside the receiver and sandwiches the whole receiver in place. This also perfectly sets your entire receiver length. Once I get the receiver tacked up I remove the jig and inspect everything. Then the receiver goes back on the jig and we partially weld the receiver up as to keep everything aligned. After that the jig is removed again and the rest of the welding is done using copper backing (pieces of copper cut from copper sheeting to the size needed for the area you are backing).

I will note that you still have to do some slight clamping on the shroud and other sections to get the pieces tweaked back into alignment as the torch cutting does warp parts. The main thing is the jig forces a straight line through the rails and into the receiver bushing and all you have to do from there is make sure the outter shell of the receiver lines up as it should. This jig took a 7 day job down to a 2 day job.

Sorry it was so long winded, just wanted to give a semi decent description to answer as many questions in one go as I could. Pricing on the jigs is not known at this time as we are still making revisions on the jig for ease of use etc.

Cheers..

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:39 am

Well done guys.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 am

Your MG42 welding jig is looking super nice. Hope you bring one or two to the next Builders and Belt fed shoot on March 22nd, 2020.

Later 42rocker

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

I know how you like to fondle my goods Rocker..😉
If I can make it, I will bring one to fondle. Along with the x39 in my 42 so you can see it run..

Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Jared,
Your photos make the new welding jig a lot more easy to understand its use than the earlier drawing.

I am interested in learning more about the final example.....and pricing.
Have you started a "list" (?).
Will there be a instruction booklet (maybe photos of set up, and use)…..and possible number the Jig-Pieces to be referenced in the booklet (?).

Last.....answered your earlier PM-reply to my questions...….with more questions.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:19 pm

For the actual production jigs we will do a nice set of instructions and a video tutorial(more than likely). I have purchased jigs in the past and you need an engineering degree to figure out their use as they send 0 instructions. The goal here is to make it as simple as possible to use and understand. I know looking at the picture drawing I first posted left a lot to wonder about, thats why I went ahead and posted those dirty jig photos so guys could more easily grasp how it works and why it works.

I am working on revisions with my engineer to make this jig all it can be. One of the revisions is holes every 30degrees around the long rod for inserting a screw driver to be able to spin the rod to tighten and loosen it to get it in and out of the receiver. Another is a mandrel that threads into the rectangle beam to be able to drive it out of the receiver, as right now it is interesting getting it back out of the receiver. Things like that, that you only realize once you begin actually using the jig, are all being incorporated into the "jig kit" we will be selling.

As far as a "list", I am not doing a list this round. I tried doing a list for my x39 kits and guys end up backing out after they agree up to the time to send $. Ill make a batch and when they sell out, will judge demand for more.

Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Not to rush things.....just to keep the topic current.....and possibly get an up-date as to how these are coming along (final version pics......prices....etc. (?).

Thanks again,
RichardS
US Army, RET

ajmdreammg42
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by ajmdreammg42 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

I will definitely take one of these jigs, subscribing to this thread

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:54 pm

Waiting on the next V3 prototype to be made. Then I will be testing it and see if there is anything else or if the changes are going to work as planned.

Wondering
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Wondering » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Looks good. Eager to see the final version and learn the price.

ajmdreammg42
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by ajmdreammg42 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 am

I have a question about the rear section of the jig. If I am planning to use BRP receiver halfs for some builds, and the rails are not installed yet, how would you center up the rear section ? would making a groove in the rear square of the jig ( on the forward side) to allow the caming section inner center "ears" to slide into work ? And how about the very rear of the receiver ? how could that be centered true in the jig ? I have 4 German kits but 33 yugo kits that I will be using BRP's either full length receivers or rear shell halves.

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 am

I don’t build with shells or 80% or whatever you want to call them, so those were not in mind when building the jig. The camming piece currently clears the jig to allow installation to help square up and space that section of a cut receiver. The back end of the receiver is held true with a thick washer that interfaces the rear buffer recess. The jig does not 100% hold everything and there is still required clamping and tweaking of the receiver sections. However it does force a straight line from nose to tail and OAL is held true.

ajmdreammg42
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by ajmdreammg42 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Jared, any updates on this ? I do want one

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:09 am

Currently waiting our turn on the machines for our production run..

Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Any up-date on these (?)…….availability (?)……..price w/shipping (?).

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:31 pm

As of yesterday, the machine shop has our material and waiting for a couple contract jobs to run.