MG42/53 replacement part confusion - Newbie requesting assistance please!

Anything MG42 related.
Darth2a
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42/53 replacement part confusion - Newbie requesting assistance please!

Post by Darth2a » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Hello all,

Brand new member here. I have a Wiselite 42/53 that I bought used. I know very little about this platform, and bought it more as a conversation piece. I have shot it a couple of times, and cleaned it really thoroughly (or so I thought) and it has been sitting in its wooden transport box for quite a few years. Well, with all the free time we seem to be having as of late, i dusted her off and took a closer look. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the booster, barrel guide bushing sleeve and nozzle all have significant corrosion. Not having the equipment or ability to refinish/repair these parts, I ordered new parts. The parts were listed as fitting the MG42/53, but the sleeve and nozzle have noticeable differences from my old parts:
Nozzle new and old 1
Nozzle new and old 1
Nozzle new and old 2
Nozzle new and old 2
Nozzle new and old 3
Nozzle new and old 3
Bushing sleeve new and old 1
Bushing sleeve new and old 1
Bushing sleeve new and old 2
Bushing sleeve new and old 2
Bushing sleeve new and old 3
Bushing sleeve new and old 3
The parts were easy enough to take out of the gun, but the differences seem significant: the hole size and cone shape of the nozzle is different, and the radius and cone shape on the sleeve is different. Did I buy the wrong parts? I'd really like to get the gun back together, and feel lousy that I may have missed these parts during the cleaning process. I can take more pictures if needed, and I also bought a new recoil booster, but that seems to be identical to the original (short of the finish) Assistance is most appreciated!

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: MG42/53 replacement part confusion - Newbie requesting assistance please!

Post by Bil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 pm

If it worked before, I think I would just clean up your original ones-wire brush like a battery cleaner or like plumbers use, find someone with a soda blaster maybe....just a suggestion... ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Dip the parts in some diesel fuel or oil and scrub them with a wire brush. There is nothing wrong with the parts, just get the green junk off of them. The nozzle hole needs to be sized to the gun, so use what you have and clean it when you get done shooting. Also, don't shoot junk surplus ammo. Surplus is fine, but if it's 40+ years old, don't use it. Old ammo can have a hang fire way too easily to make it worth the money you save with it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:20 am

Yep, as the other said, I'd clean them up and use them. I've gotten worse from kits.

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Jaredrlewman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:18 am

The barrel bearing with the machined stripe in it is a 308 bearing. It could majorly over gas your gun and cause FCG issues when your bolt slams the ever living crap out of your grip stick. That goes to say the gun is running properly. I have seen Where 8mm runs better with the 308 bearing but it was on guns that had other issues causing a need for the extra boost..